[Wine] Re: Weird OpenGL problems

jho wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 3 12:50:21 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:
> Have you disabled pulseaudio and in-game steam community?

I don't use Pulseaudio at all and it's not even installed. I have disabled the Steam community, and even if I hadn't, it wouldn't explain why Soldat or other games don't work.

> If nothing works - say thanks to your intel video. Get a real stuff, like Nvidia card. They proven to work.

Generally speaking I've had a lot more success with this Intel card than what I've had with my old Nvidia card.. And don't even get me started with the clusterfuck that it ATI drivers.

Also, this is a Dell OptiPlex workstation which doesn't have AGP or PCI-E slots, so I'd have to go with this integrated or some old PCI card. And, unlike some, I can't afford to buy new hardware every so often, I'm just a poor student.

Daemon wrote:
> A little off-topic but just read a good article on h-online about Xorg , Intel drivers and the various kernel mode settings/gem which might provide some insight not just for Ubu. Here. (http://www.h-online.com/open/Ubuntu-9-04-and-Intel-graphics--/features/113196)

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually using GEM and UXA right now. However I couldn't get KMS to work (X was unbearably slow and crashed within moments of starting), but that's another issue altogether. I was adviced to try again with 2.6.30, and that's what I'm going to do as soon as there's the first release of .30 with genpatches.

> The xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 looks old , 6 months to be exact. Xserver 1.6.1 is the current Here (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/) and the 2.6.99.902 intel driver is over 2 months old. Newer version 2.7.99.1 is available Here. (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/)

Thanks, I'll try them later tonight or tomorrow.

> Might want to do -dxlevel 81 also for hl2.

I've tried different values for dxlevel (70, 80, 81, 90), and none of them work.

vitamin wrote:

> jho wrote:
> >  % glxgears
> > 4053 frames in 5.0 seconds = 810.452 FPS
>
> You sure it's accelerated? Here is what I'm getting from GT8800:
>
> Code:
> $glxgears
> 110649 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22129.684 FPS
> 111965 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22392.906 FPS
> 111967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22393.328 FPS
> 111927 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22385.379 FPS

Yes, I am sure. GT8800 is a lot faster card, but the 965Q has been enough for me.
And glxgears is *not* a benchmark. I have seen worse cards do bigger FPS and better cards do worse.