[Wine] Start two wine instances for two users

jefrie wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 15 06:55:52 CDT 2009

Hello,

currently I am trying to create two running instances of a windows application. The crux is that I need two different users.

The first application is started under the current logged in user (user1). I have a bash script that exports a new wine prefix and starts the application in a new window (e.g. wine explorer /desktop=0,1152x890 explorer)

But next I like to start a second instance. Therefore I created a new linux user (user2). I' ll export a different wineprefix and start the app via

Code:
 su user2 -c 'wine explorer /desktop=0,1152x890 explorer'

But I get the following error. I am not that familar with linux, but I thought by exporting the current display into the environment of the second user the display should work.

Code:
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 1114

Can anybody give me a hint how to start the two apps (which should not be aware of each other).

Thanks
Jens