[Wine] Portable applications list needed

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon May 18 23:41:14 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM, gamblor01 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> For those of you that don't know, I've got a Google Summer of Code
>> project to make a better test suite for wine. The goal is to test
>> graphical applications to find bugs that aren't tested by the test
>> suite, and to prevent regressions that aren't prevented by it.
>

> That sounds like an excellent idea!  Are you going to count .msi files as part of the "self-executable" process?  Also, what if you just create an icon whose command is to call a script, or call an unzipper, etc. and then invoke the .exe file for you?  Then you could just record yourself clicking on that shortcut (this may have already been suggested in the links above -- I didn't check).

The script needs to be runable on windows and wine, and be dependable.
There's no need for an icon/etc., needs to be automatic.

> If .msi files are legit I would suggest Steam.  You can get the installer for free (though you need an account to actually login and test it so maybe it's not the best idea).  It's a pretty popular application and certainly the reason why I run Wine.  ;)

Possibly. The problem is Steam changes a lot.

> I would suggest looking at the most popular applications on the appdb, but many of them are games and therefore do not have any freely available installers (not legitimately anyway).

That's the end goal. Get tests for iTunes, etc., which are quite
complex, to help prevent them regressing.

> The only other possibility I can think of are things like compilers.  For example, you could download the Java SDK (or just the JRE) from java.sun.com as an exe and run that.  Also, you mentioned not wanting to use 7-zip on a file first...but what about using the 7-zip installer itself as a test case?

Compilers are pretty complex, and most (that I know of) don't work
yet. Java works somewhat, but the idea is to get stuf that *DOES*
work, and test it, automatically, to keep it working.
7zip could work, but I'd like each test case to be independent, e.g.,
not depend on installing 7 zip, then using it to extract stuff.

In the end, I used info-zip, which has some bsd-ish licensed zip/unzip
standalone executables for download.

Now to get to scripting them...

--
-Austin