[Wine] Help requested for Aeris Dive Computer interface

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 21:56:15 CDT 2009

trherald wrote:
> ok, based one the previous replies, here's the information requested:
> 1.  WINE version is 1.1.21
That's the latest/greatest.  1.1.22 was released today.
> 2. The ACI interface DOES use a special driver to access the computer itself via a USB port and special cable, although at this point I haven't got as far as trying that.  First step is to open a dive log to start with.
This may prove problematic.  Wine in its present form does not support
USB attached devices unless the underlying *Nix can see the device.
Work is progressing, but it is still not ready for inclusion into the
main Wine product.
> 3.  The ACI interface seems to use a run time version of the Microsoft Access database to store the dive log information.
This may be solved by using Winetricks to install the Jet40 engine.
Please look at the FAQ to see how to use it.

> Looking around on the web, it looks like I'm not the first person to try running ACI under WINE and encountering problems  It doesn't look good that this is a solvable problem, at least in the near future.  Too bad really.
Wine has come a long way and it still has a long way to go.  I'm
actually impressed with what has happened since I started using it about
a year and a half ago in an attempt to run several programs that I like
and there is no *nix version going to be produced (this includes Mac
versions as well.)

James McKenzie