[Wine] Wine / Google Earth network issue

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed May 27 22:09:11 CDT 2009

gariac wrote:
> Trying to install Google Earth under wine, I get to a point where the installer trying to contact Google for some download.
> ----------------
> fixme:msxml:domdoc_createNode nodes with namespaces currently not supported.
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser returning no proxy used
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetDefaultProxyConfiguration 0xa5e670
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetProxyForUrl 0x1, L"http://tools.google.com/service/update2", 0xa5e540, 0xa5e558
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser returning no proxy used
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetDefaultProxyConfiguration 0xa5e670
> fixme:winhttp:WinHttpGetProxyForUrl 0x1, L"https://tools.google.com/service/update2", 0xa5e540, 0xa5e558
>
> -------------------------
> Any ideas?

You might want to try winetricks to install Windows Networking
(winnet?).  If this fixes the problem, please file a bug report as
detailed below.
> OS is Suse 11.1 on 64bit AMD quad core. Note I can run Google Earth natively rather than using Wine, but I have an application in wine that needs to interface to Google Earth. If there was some way it could connect to the Google Earth under Linux, that would solve my problem.

Don't know if this is possible.  If the program uses a command line, it
may be possible to call a shell script instead that fires off the Linux
version of Google Earth.
> Incidentally, I tried to trick wine by copying all files and directories from a windows installation of Google Earth. It barfs a bit trying to create some files, but does eventually show part of the Google Earth program. Basically the "frame", but not the earth inside the frame. I used the winetricks to get all the fonts installed.

This is because registry entries may be incorrect.  You might also want
to search Wine's BugZilla (http://bugs.winehq.org/) for existing bugs.
If you find a bug that matches your problem, you should create a
bugzilla account and vote on the bug.  This lets developers know that
the bug still exists and that interest is there for a fix.  If there is
no bug report, then you should create one for any problems you find with
Wine, excepting copying an existing Windows installation (those bugs
will be closed) and if you copied an existing program from a Windows
installation (these will also be closed.)
> If there is a way to get the program running by copying a windows install, I'm game for that too.

This is highly recommended against.  Wine is not structured like any
version of Windows(TM).  This will break your Wine installation as well.

James McKenzie