[Wine] Re: Torchlight

gutherford wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 4 18:57:13 CST 2009

Thanks for the guide lgtspecb, I certainly never would have gotten Torchlight going without it.  In case anyone else has the same problems as I experienced here is what I did differently from your guide:

In Step 4 I just did 'sh ./winetricks vcrun2008'.  For some reason including 'dcom98' screwed up everything and I couldn't run any wine programs afterward (had to regenerate my .wine dir).

I was installing the Torchlight demo via Steam (I assume this applies to the full version as well), you have make sure after you've downloaded it to exit Steam (including the tray app).  Otherwise when you try to run the game in safemode it won't work since Steam is already running not in safemode.  Maybe this is obvious to others but it took me a bit.

The demo runs well for me. It gets a little laggy sometimes but maybe I can play with the detail settings a bit.  Annoyingly trying to enter the settings menu in-game causes Torchlight to crash but I can manually edit settings.txt.