[Wine] Storyspace-based hypertext fiction install help?

letsgotothezoo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 4 19:52:49 CST 2009

I've been trying to install the hypertext fiction Victory Garden by Stuart Moulthrop released by Eastgate Systems.  It is based on Eastgate's Storyspace environment.  Unfortunately, I'm running into some installation problems (the installer is InstallShield-based).  With an older version, I got a bunch of DDE errors, so I just bought a new version that gets a good deal further into the install process before popping up some problems.  Eastgate hasn't been able to help me, although the person who contacted me back said that some people have successfully installed under Wine.

At first, it looks like the install is working fine, a dialog box pops up that says something to the effect of "now installing icons" and then the installer quits with no notice.

This is what it looks like from the commandline:
staff at rts-dell1501:/cdrom$ wine SETUP.EXE
fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x7e0000, 0x0) stub
staff at rtst-dell1501:/cdrom$

It adds an menu item for "Victory Garden" at Applications | Wine | Programs | Hypertexts, but when I try to run it, Storyspace says that it is missing a file:  "Storyspace was unable to open file  C:\PROG~FBUEastgateVICTORYGVG" so I think the installation is failing based on the errors above.

Anyone have any tips on this?  I've tried messing with the configuration settings for which version of Windows Wine is acting like and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm somewhat desperate to make this work for a research paper I'm writing.