[Wine] changing wine localization

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Nov 8 11:00:07 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 09:29 -0600, orduek wrote:
> Thank you for your solution.
> Although this solution works, I still think it would be more smooth if I could change localization.
> The main reason is convenience and look -
> first, Now I need to create a stratup script to every office software I need (Word, Excell etc.).

You can use one script to run any of the MS Office programs. The script
becomes slightly more complex because it uses a parameter to say which
Office program it will run:

================== msoffice start ===========================
#!/bin/bash
export LANG=he.IL.UTF-8
wine "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\$1"
================== msoffice end   ===========================

You'd use it like this:

msoffice word.exe
msoffice excel.exe

Ignore case and the wine command in these examples - as both could be
wrong. Modify your existing msoffice script by replacing the program
name, e.g. word.exe, by $1

> Second, It looks worse and every startup it asks
> me if I want to Run or display the script. opening
> the software from the Wine menu is much more smooth (IMHO).
> is there a way to configure that?

Thats because you're starting Office programs by clicking the script
name in the Nautilus window, rsather than using the Gnome launcher to
run it. Nautilus is the Gnome equivalent ot Windows Explorer. Instead,
create a launcher for each MSOffice program. This will put a clickable
icon on your Gnome desktop for each program.

Right click on the desktop and select "Create launcher", and fill in the
dialogue box. For Word you'd set the following:

Type    = Application
Name    = MS Word
Command = /home/login/bin/msoffice word.exe

where "/home/login" is your login directory. This will make an icon
using the default launcher icon, a square thing on top of a spring. By
clicking on the icon image (top left in the "Properties" or the "Create
launcher" dialogues) you can change that for any other suitable image.

I don't know whether you can use the MS images buried in their
executables - its something I've never tried, but you might:
- find an image on the internet and please honour the artist's
  copyright if you do this
- use one from the Gnome default set
- use a drawing tool to make your own or to resize an image you've
  found. GIMP will do this.

I prefer xfig to GIMP for making icons. Its a vector graphics program
(like Adobe Illustrator) which makes drawings that can be saved as PNG
or JPG images. If its not installed with your distro it may be an extra
that your package manager can install. Its a bit quirky at first, but
not too difficult to pick up.

Martin