[Wine] Wine program resource usage question

cnbiz850 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 8 21:16:00 CST 2009

I run a stock analysis program with Wine.  What it does is basically display the chart of a chosen stock.  Above the chart, there is a menu bar that let you have some control like change time frame, or go back, etc.  There also a right-click popup menu that let you have some other controls.  What is strange is that when switching the mouse from the chart to the GUI, or vice versa, there is a huge memory and CPU usage upsurge. Memory surges from normally 40% total on the system to about 80% on my 4GB RAM machine.  And one CPU (of the due core) usage surges to 100%.  This lasts for about 7-8 seconds, as if something huge is being swapped in and out.  After that it is back to normal.  Of course, during upsurge time the program doesn't really respond.

The question is why a switch of focus between graphics and GUI causes such a big resource hog.  What can I do to find out more about what if going on or solve the problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.