[Wine] can't run Vizard in Wine - blank (black) screen only

michaelrepucci wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 9 15:59:15 CST 2009

Hi All. I'm completely new to Wine, and a bit unfamiliar with how to go about debugging an application that won't run in it. But I'm relatively experienced with computers, and would love some tips on how to get started. Couldn't find anything useful in the FAQ or Forum. Wine versions 1.0.1 in Ubuntu 9.04.

I installed Vizard (http://www.worldviz.com/products/vizard/) successfully. (Didn't find Vizard in the AppDB.) But when I try to start it, the whole screen goes blank (black), except that the mouse cursor remains. Then I'm sort of stuck. I can't switch to a terminal or anything, and can't even figure out how to kill the application. I've resorted to just hitting lots of keys, and eventually manage to get the application to quit (standard things like Alt+F4 or Control-C don't seem to work), or Ubuntu to shut down. I can't even give you useful feedback on any errors, since I can't see or do much of anything.

Any thoughts where to start? Thanks!