[Wine] Wine program resource usage question

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Nov 10 04:56:32 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 19:03 -0600, cnbiz850 wrote:
> "top" shows that this particular program (called special.exe) taking a
> lot of CPU and memory during change of focus as I mentioned
> originally.
>
>   It doesn't use much swap space as my 4GB RAM is not depleted.

Your RAM will be full because Linux uses any spare RAM for disk buffers.
Any swapping can slow things down a lot.

> I will try to use sysstat, but I am not to sure what to look for.

man sarq
man pidstat

Use pidstat to look for any processes that are generating major faults
when paging (these are disk accesses - minor faults are not a problem).
Use "-p ALL -r" options to see paging for all active processes.

Be sure to turn on thread monitoring for pidstat (use the "-t -u"
options to see CPU usage for all threads in all active processes).

> I suspect more that it has to do with Wine's handling of GUI and
> graphics.  Anyone please advise some specifics about it.

If its a problem in wine this may show up as additional processes that
burn CPU. pidstat will show that.

Martin