[Wine] Cannot run programs on wine since upgrading Ubuntu

afreyed wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 10 11:31:27 CST 2009

So...let me preface this by saying I am a pretty new Ubuntu/linux user. I understand very little about how it works, how to use terminal etc. Basically if you are responding to this thread, pretend I am stupid and go from there.

Yesterday I went ahead and upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" and changed the entry in "software sources" to the new one recommended on the Wine homepage (ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa). Since doing so I cannot get any windows programs installed through Wine to work. I run them as I used to and the program icon on the bar says "Starting xxx" or whatever and the mouse icon changed to the loading one but nothing happens.

Someone said I need to post concole data for this issue but I don't know how to do that either. All I want is to be able to play WoW and run Ventrilo again like I could a few days ago. Any help is appreciated, thanks.