[Wine] Re: 1.0.1 vs 1.1.32

Thunderbird wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 11 11:48:31 CST 2009

In general our Direct3D emulation layer is slower than Windows Direct3D due to the fact that not all Direct3D calls. Especially for older versions we need to do some more emulation and newer versions are a bit easier. Second the quality of the OpenGL drivers also affects performance but in case of Nvidia the drivers are of high quality and offer good performance.

The main reason Wine outperforms Windows in some older DirectX tests  is because all WineD3D code. Due to this when we add support for new OpenGL extensions we also update our 'old' DirectX code. Microsoft doesn't update their DirectX7/8 drivers anymore.

The 3Dmark2001 polygon test might be working very differently and it might even be that we are hitting some nasty emulation paths which reduce performance.