[Wine] Re: New WoW Launcher.exe changes directory permissions

emn8w8 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 12 07:19:37 CST 2009

Thanks for the replies..!

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> File a bug with Blizzard.
>

> Martin

I seriously doubt if Blizzard has any concerns about the effect their program has on an ext3 filesystem...but since users on native Windows have the same problem I'm sure there will be a bug report...:-)

oiaohm wrote:

> Wine does have the right to be messing with permissions. Now windows permissions need to be compared to what wine is spitting out it might be a wine bug.

I have assumed that Wine would not change these permissions unless there's a real big need to do so...I can't think of any reason why Wine needs to mimick the dreaded Windows habit of working as Administrator on a Linux system...

oiaohm wrote:

> Some applications do stunts like that to stop them from being run mult times. But that is still pointing to a bug because the application not releasing when existing.

Indeed rumors are that Blizzard intended this to prevent multiboxing WoW (which btw. can easily be avoided..)

oiaohm wrote:

> So try newer wine just in case it some form of bug with 1.1.13 that is fixed.

I'm now at 1.1.32.....still the same....

tparker wrote:

> All patches, each time applied for both the regular game and the test
> server seem to change the permissions now. It has been this way on the
> test server for quite a while so I assume that something from that has
> been applied to the live game since it just started happening there. It
> has been reported to Blizzard but while waiting for a fix it is simple,
> if annoying to reset the permissions after a patch.

Patching & updating always have had the need to change permissions which make sense when running on native Windows..and was a bit annoying on a Linux system. But it's not only after these actions anymore: I have to restore the permissions every time I start the program....and that's more than just annoying...:-)

I think this is what happened: The latest patch is a new version of Launcher.exe which tries to prevent multiboxing. But the way Blizzard has implemented this causes access problems on all platforms. Their patching system has always been problematic but with this action they have really made a mess of things...

vitamin wrote:

> The only thing I can think of - hack Wine and disable that functionality. See if that works.

2 reasons why this a good idea but not for me:
A. Although I'm capable of writing a decent program, hacking "systems" like Wine has left me with enormous headaches, creating more problems than I can solve and far more coffee than is good for me...:-)..
B. Since this problem is apparently affecting WoW users on all platforms I'll wait until Blizzard developers have had their necessary programming training...
For now I can live with the workaround, annoying as it is.....

Best regards, Erik