[Wine] Re: ubuntu 9.10

maninfrontofpc wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 12 12:51:52 CST 2009

DaVince wrote:

> Like I said, I didn't install the wine package but the wine1.2 package since that seems to be the one where 1.1.32 is now. Adding the PPA shouldn't have broken the original wine package, though... but when I did manage to install it I found that I was back to 1.0.1. So pick wine1.2, or does that give you problems too?

OK, I think I am beginning to understand but... I will need further help.

OK, Assuming I have Ubuntu 9.10 and want to install a version of wine: new wine, vintage wine or a a single chateau local wine I don't mind (all I want to do is learn how it works so that I can use an Ubuntu/Wine PC that has been donated to the sailing club I belong to). What is the easiest and most reliable method of installing?
Does Ubuntu come packaged with the vintage wine and the instructions are just an upgrade? Or do the instructions install wine from scratch?

If it is easiest to start again with Ubuntu 9.04 then I can do that as well - All I have on the Linux partition is the OS. I don't have anything to backup/reinstall at this time. As I said, what I do need is step-by step instructions.

> At what point do I get the choice of Wine or Wine1.2?
> How do I know which I have chosen and how do I now choose Wine1.2if I have chosen wine?

Thanks for your patience with helping me, an I am sorry to seem so inept.

Man in front of PC (who might even forgive Mr Gates for creating Windows - if I can't get this working soon)