[Wine] Ubuntu 9.10 - ATI - fglrx - Steam - Counter-Strike 1.6

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:39:42 CST 2009

The 32bit - 16bit message looks familiar.

Can you force the game in 32bit mode, or force your desktop in 16bit color
mode?

You can also go into Steam, Right Click Counterstrike and set launch options
to force software mode, color depth, etc.

*Mouse*

> -noforcemaccel > reverts to desktop mouse acceleration settings (more)
> -noforcemparms > reverts to desktop mouse button settings (more)
> -noforcemspd > uses desktop mouse speed settings (more)
>
> *Monitor*
>
> -w 640 -h 480 > forces the resolution to 640x480
> -w 800 -h 600 > forces the resolution to 800x600
> -w 1024 -h 768 > forces the resolution to 1024x768
> -full > forces fullscreen mode
> -windowed > forces window mode
> -freq x > forces the monitor to use x hertz
>
> *Video*
>
> -gl > run in OpenGL
> -d3d > run in Direct3d
> -soft > run in software mode
>
> *DirectX*
>
> -dxlevel 90 > DirectX 9
> -dxlevel 81 > DirectX 8.1
> -dxlevel 80 > DirectX 8
> -dxlevel 70 > DirectX 7
> -dxlevel 60 > DirectX 6
>
> *Other*
>
> -16bpp > forces the colors to 16bit
> -32bpp > forces the colors to 32bit
> -heapsize x > specify the number (x) of memory to use
> -zone x > allocates x amount of KiloBytes of memory for use with the
> console system
> -noip > disables the use of UDP, which is part of the TCP/IP protocol
> -noipx > disables the use of the IPX/SPX protocol
> -nojoy > disables joystick support (shaves a little bit off the memory
> footprint)
> -wavonly > disables the use of direct sound (only use if you are having
> sound problems)
> -noaafonts > disables Anti-Aliasing of screen fonts
> -autoconfig > restores video and performance settings to default
> -condebug > logs all console output into the console.log text file

Try forcing some of the video options to narrow it down.  If you find it
only happens when that 16bit/32bit message appears, play around with your X
server to make sure it will run that depth.

If you find out it only happens when running in OpenGL, check your ATI
drivers.  Video card drivers have tons of known issues, and I've seen some
only crop up in Wine, but not in Linux.  Please post your success.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com