[Wine] Can't update Wine since I've upgraded to Karmic

Agnor wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Nov 14 11:19:46 CST 2009

Hi,

I've been a user of Wine since I migrated to Ubuntu and I have to thank you for this little piece of magic.

Since I've upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, I haven't been able to update to the binaries in the Wine repositories. I've replaced my Software Sources link to "ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa" and when I try to update (via the update-manager) I get the following message:

Code:
Not all updates can be installed

Run a partial upgrade to install as many updates as possible

And it allows me to do a Partial Upgrade, that removes wine...

Doing "sudo apt-get upgrade" shows:

Code:
  wine wine-gecko
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

And doing "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" shows:

>   wine1.2-gecko: Conflicts: wine-gecko (< 0.9.1-1) but 0.1.0-0ubuntu1 is installed and it is kept back.

I've tried removing/purging wine and installing back again, but it showed the same errors.

Removing the wine repository from the sources list allows the installation from the ubuntu repositories, but I really need the version on the Wine repositories.

Thanks.