[Wine] Re: Putting the c drive on an external drive

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 15 07:53:14 CST 2009

First, a warning that your external drive must not contain an actual Windows installation. The wineprefix (Wine's sandboxed Windows environment) and a real Windows environment are incompatible and would destroy the regular Windows install (as in not bootable).

Now, for the steps:
- Open a terminal.
- Use the "cd" command to go to your application installer's directory. Ex. "cd ~/Downloads" where ~ means /home/your_username/.
- Normally, you'd run "wine filename.exe" here. But this time we're changing the wineprefix, so do:

Code:
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/external/disk/ wine filename.exe

You can also do this once:

Code:
export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/external/disk/

and your current terminal will always use that path for the current terminal session. So you can then install apps with a simple "wine filename.exe" anyway (until you close the terminal, after which you have to set the wineprefix *again*).

Also be aware that if your external drive isn't formatted as ext3, some Windows applications might not work. But I myself haven't actually ever encountered this.