[Wine] Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

DaveLevy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 16 04:48:14 CST 2009

This seems to be working for me now. It involved a little poking around so I have documented it on my bliki (http://davelevy.dyndns.info/snipsnap/space/Dave/WINE) and here.

I started at wiki :: macosx :: Building (http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building) so thanks for that. Since it was recommended to make a build from source and since I had to install a package manager of some description to get the source code I downloaded git as recommended.

My process

* Download xcode, for 10.5, you need version 3.1.3
* Download git (I think so, now not sure if its part of MacOSX 10.5)
* Download the source using git, see wiki :: gitwine (http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine)
* 'make' the binary, use --disable-win16
* link the xfree libraries to /usr/lib

The last line might not be the best way to solve the problem but I tested the install using ConTEXT and had xfree errors, but not now. Having had another look at the wiki page, theres some advice on using

    DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

which I didn't understand as pertinant because I am not a developer, which might make the next stage fun. Is this relevant to the xfree errors  problem?

I'd suggest that the wiki page documents the --disable-win16 flag on make and if the link trick is deemed acceptable, that this is placed on the wiki page as well. Both these tips have been documented in previous threads, which is where I found them. Thanks

Otherwise not as painful as I'd thought.