[Wine] Putting the c drive on an external drive

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Nov 17 11:02:40 CST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 10:11 -0600, douglas wrote:
> Okay well I got it to work when using the terminal however when using
> the method described by vitamin I did not have any success.
>
> Here is a copy of my .bashrc file

....snippage....

> #below added for wine
>
> export WINEPREFIX=/media/External/Wine/.wine

No, its not wrong. It obviously works BUT it will only work in that
login on that computer. Also, you'll have to remember that its there and
override it for for other WINE environments.

I'd use a small script for each program I ran under WINE:

================== application script ==========================
#!/ bin/bash
#
# Don't forget to make this file executable with chmod
#

export WINEPREFIX=/media/External/Wine/.wine
cd "C:/path_to_your_working_directory"
wine "C:/path_to_program/program.exe" arguments...

===================== end of script ============================

The advantages are:
- all application-specific environmental variables you create in the
  script will be discarded when the script exits so they can't upset
  other programs.
- you can put the script on your external medium and take it with you.
- it should work on any computer which has WINE installed provided
  that the external medium is mounted in the same place on each
  computer
- you can build a library of these scripts:
  - create a directory, ~/bin
  - add ~/bin to your search path by adding this line to .bashrc:

    export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

- logout and in again so this change takes effect.
- now, any program or script you put in ~/bin can be run by typing
  its name.
- You can extend the script to make it more useful. I usually add this
  as the first command:

  then
      echo "Usage: script [args..]"
      exit 1
  fi

  so typing "script -?" will display the help info.

Martin