[Wine] Putting the c drive on an external drive

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Tue Nov 17 14:55:06 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 21:37, douglas <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>> You should load the installer from the command-line after exporting
>> the variable. (The variable only changes for that process and its
>> children if you are wondering...)
>

> Thing is, what I am trying to do here is avoid using the command line as much as possible. To have it running using the menus like I would normally.

It might be possible to set up environment variables for launcher....
Not idea how....

Once it is installed, Wine adds the WINEPREFIX to the launcher that it
creates for desktop / start menu entries...

You MIGHT be able to create .wine (or .wine/drive_c) under your home
directory as a symlink to the external drive... (not sure if Wine
checks that an actual directory is being used...)

> Oh and how do I check the drive format?

On Linux:
mount (it is after the word "type")
or
'cat /proc/mounts' shows it in the third column if the external drive
is mounted...

fat* is vfat / msdos usually
ntfs is most likely something with fuse (or ntfs for a horrible old driver...)
ext2/3/4 / reiserfs / xfs (or hfs / ufs / zfs on other Unixes) are
good formats (more exist, cant remember them all...), but can't be
read by Windows without special drivers...

(GUI methods exist, but that differs depending on the tools / desktop
environment / distribution that you have installed)