[Wine] DirectX and Gallium3d question

deniseweird wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 17 16:54:43 CST 2009

Hi! In the current implementation of DirectX (or more specifically, D3D, DirectDraw..), Wine converts it to OpenGL, which I assume was a choice that seemed logical since only OpenGL could be accelerated in Linux and Unix systems before. But in Gallium3d, if I understood it right, the API's like OpenGL, OpenCL, and so on, are just implemented as "addons" (maybe wrong term?) in Gallium3d itselft, and drivers don't really have to deal with them; they just deal with some GPU-specific things in order to get acceleration.

So now for my question. Wouldn't it be better to target Gallium3d, and make "addons" for it, like Direct3d 9/10, DirectDraw and so on? Since the video drivers themselves don't have to deal with this, it should be fairly easy to add this support and get acceleration that way. It seems like a cleaner and more compatible way to deal with the graphical parts of DirectX than converting them to OpenGL, and all Gallium3d-supported GPU's would have acceleration.

If any developer or any other person who's knowledgeable in these fields is reading this, what do you think? Is this being discussed/worked on?

Denise