[Wine] Install Issues... winecfg crashing when entering audio tab

taranig wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 20 00:37:27 CST 2009

wine version= 1.1.32 (installed as su via yum)
OS= Fedora 11 x86_64
Onboard Audio=  VIA VT1708S (motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO)

Just to start I am a novice with Linux.
Pardon the wall of text, i've been troubleshooting for the last couple of days so i've already done some troubleshooting.

Brand new system, first OS. Installed via yum as recommended on the download page, that went smoothly. I attempted to install some applications (first trillian then wow) and all i would get is a brief hourglass and then nothing. No error messages or anything.

Went into winecfg, browsed through the tabs. When I tried to access the Audio tab i would receive this error:

There is no audio driver currently specified in the registry.
A recommended driver has been selected for you.
You can use this driver or select another driver if available.
You must click Apply for the selection to take effect.

when I hit OK that error message i get this error message:

"The program winecfg.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."

When I acknowledge this error message it just keeps coming back. I have to kill the process to make it go away.

Rummaging through these forums I've seen the grumbles about PulseAudio and Alsa and ran through a number of those options.Such as editing the alsa config files to reference Pulse as a default such as http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Wine. I have tried pasuspender as well as padsp.

I attempted to edit the registry manually to have it match the format described here http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys. However that entry appears to be hopelessly out of date. A good portion of the branches are not in my registry. I only added the branch for Alsa Driver as described in the wiki article and also an entry for key Device with string for Device=Alsa. This was mentioned for someone who couldn't change drivers through the gui.

When I then try to access the audio tab I get the error:

"Found driver in registry that is not available! remove 'Alsa' from the registry?"

regardless of what i select it will then give me the "encountered a serious problem" error listed above. Nor does it actually remove the driver entry from the registry. When i delete the key 'Devices' I'm back to square one.

I have editted /etc/pulse/client.conf to prevent autospawn and killed all of Pulse. This had no effect, original error and resulting loop. I have not actually removed pulse from the system yet.

I have tried removing and reinstalling Wine through yum (as su), it says it is uninstalled but it never truly goes away, I can still access the registry, config, and others.

The windows apps are just going to be a luxury for me. But this is a learning box so i'm willing to try anything.

Thank you in advance.