[Wine] Re: Explain to me how I do not need root?

Skaught wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 20 21:27:43 CST 2009

Morten Kleven wrote:
> What does your program do? If its just ping, use the ping command.
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

"if you just need to deliver packages, use a bicycle, who needs a truck"

Ya, try telling that to UPS :)

Ping plotter allows us to ping every host along a path continuously.  And then graph it nicely in a way that Our NOC techs can recognize easily.

If a Client calls in sayign that Internet drops every day at random times, we run ping plotter against their IP.  IF there is a problem, ping plotter will show it and tell us when it happened.  We also know immediately where it happened along the chain.

If someone wrote a program that continuously ran a trace route over and over to specific host and then pinged each host on the path and then compiled the data into graphs that would be what ping plotter does.

We have other tools that monitor client connections but they only check every 60 seconds.  Fine for most people but if we have a specific intermittent issue we use ping plotter to track it down.

It is great for clients who complain about say VOIP or RDP problems.  If they are doing RDP to another ISP we can run it over the entire path and find out (usually) that it is the other ISP and then tell the other ISP where and when in their network they are getting latency spikes.