[Wine] wxDev-C++

tbreina wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 20 22:32:45 CST 2009

I've been having some success running a Win/Delphi IDE called wxDev-C++ from within Wine on Ubuntu (latest updates according to the package manager).

Although things work smoothly calling the MinGW make and gcc compiler tools from Wine, I have been trying to have wxDev-C++ call the native Linux gcc/make to build programs. So it's a Windows-compiled IDE running in Wine/Ubuntu calling the native Linux compiler tools.

Long story short: things work great unless there is a compiler error. When that happens, the Linux make doesn't seem to be passing the compiler error messages back to the wxDev-C++ IDE.

I've looked at the Delphi source code and it uses the standard WinAPI CreateProcess STARTF_USESTDHANDLES method to spawn a thread for the Linux make script. I don't see anything wrong with the CreateProcess thread source code (and it works in Windows just fine). However, this task is starting to get above my pay-grade and it'd be nice if someone could help suggest ways for me to track down the bug. I can't confirm it is strictly a bug in Wine, but I have my suspicions that STDERR messages are not being redirected between the Linux GNU make thread and the wxDev-C++ Wine process.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the brainstorming.

Thanks.
-Tony