[Wine] Wine for mission-critical application

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 23:39:29 CST 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM, ELCouz <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Is wine reliable?

No. Wine is full of bugs. It's incomplete and different from Windows
in many ways, some of which are well-understood.

It'd be more useful to ask "Is the combination of Wine and my
application reliable?", and of course that's unanswerable. In running
your program under Wine, you replace all of Windows with something
completely new, and it may behave differently in subtle (or not so
subtle) ways. You might find that in production, your application runs
some code that wasn't run in your testing, and that code exposes a
Wine bug.

It's really your responsibility to do the proper testing to decide
whether your program running in Wine in a particular Linux
distribution is reliable enough for your purposes.

I get the feeling you were really thinking about defects like memory
leaks or corruption that could go undetected for a while but
eventually cause a serious problem. I can't make any promises about
this, but I believe that the core parts of Wine are relatively free of
defects. I think you're more likely to be affected by a difference in
implementation or an unimplemented feature.

--
Vincent Povirk