[Wine] Xbox 360 controller, xinput9_1_0 and Overlord

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:26:48 CST 2009

I don't have an Xbox 360 controller myself, so I haven't looked at
this in much detail.

Microsoft has a reference for xinput at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416996(VS.85).aspx. From
what I can remember, the API itself is very simple and shouldn't
require a detailed understanding of other parts of Wine.

The generic joystick support is in dinput. According to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee417014(VS.85).aspx, dinput
doesn't support some features that are in xinput. Since we don't like
to add new features to a windows dll, I don't think xinput should use
dinput. Also, I worry that you might not get a consistent button
mapping between operating systems, and that you may need to use some
more direct interface to be sure you get it right. But I could be
wrong.

As far as I know, no one is working on this, so by all means go for it.

--
Vincent Povirk