[Wine] Enable central installation with a global system.reg file

maslec00 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 24 10:00:45 CST 2009

I need to create a central installation of wine applications, which would be available for all users.  Every user installing a copy of all software into their home directory is wasteful of diskspace and a support-impossibility .
I have wine-1.0.1 installed and have attempted to follow the documentation to produce central installation.  I have had partial success installing all software as an admin user "wineadm" and then using another test user "wineuser1".

wineuser1 can successfully find the software by redirecting the path to the c: drive for wineuser1 to the c: drive for wineadm:-
ls -l dosdevices/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 wineuser1 wineuser1 30 Nov 20 16:42 c: -> /scratch/wineadm/.wine/drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx  1 wineuser1 wineuser1  1 Nov 20 16:27 z: -> /

If I replace wineuser1's system.reg file with wineadm's system.reg file, then all is well.  However, this step needs to be automated, so that new sofware installs are seen by all users. According to  "3.2.4. System Administration Tips",  if the "global" system.reg file is copied to
/usr/local/etc/wine.systemreg, then that file can be used by all users.  However, my wine-1.0.1 installation only has the directories bin, include, lib and share.  Even if I create the directory etc and place wine.systemreg there, it is not used by wineuser1.  If I symlink wineuser1's system.reg to wineadm's system.reg file, the next time wine is called by wineuser1,
the symbolic link is removed and the file is copied there, which is only good until a new software install is made.  Please advise how I can deploy a central system.reg file?