[Wine] noob just needing to understand work-around

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:09:56 CST 2009

For single run simply follow steps I wrote for you before (well maybe
with the exception of "download utorrent" ;) ). For more permanent you
can either create a shortcut (if you are using Gnome, KDE or XFCE as
your graphical enviroment), or simple run script - and I suggest the
latter, you will find out soon that there is MUCH more comfortable way
to run your apps then it was in Windows.

If you prefere the shortcut - tell us what are you using as your
graphical enviroment.

If you prefer a script then do the following:

1.Become root (type "su" and you root password)
2.As root type nano /usr/bin/utorrent (if you do not have nano then
any other text editor will do)
3.Now paste one of the following inside the script:

If you don't use separate wineprefix:

WINEDEBUG=-all wine start /Unix /path/to/uTorrent.exe /NOINSTALL

If you use separate wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/wineprefix WINEDEBUG=-all wine start /Unix
/path/to/uTorrent.exe /NOINSTALL

4.Save your file and exit editor
5.As root type: chmod +x /usr/bin/utorrent

That's it.

Now AS NORMAL USER (NOT ROOT!!). Type in console:

utorrent

and see what happens ;]