[Wine] Re: User needs boson netsim

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 27 12:00:48 CST 2009

blocket wrote:
> Hello...  Any chance some dev time has been put to ensuring Boson NetSim products work properly with Wine?

I did a search of bugzilla, and can't find any bugs, open or closed, for either "Boson" or "NetSim." Nothing's going to be fixed if no one files bugs.

> A demo version can be downloaded for testing and dev from: www.boson.com.
>
> It seems I'm probably out of luck as my test is next week and I was pretty sure wine would work based on a quality source saying it would; obviously they were wrong in this case.

What Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.

You didn't specify which NetSim product, and there are 3 listed on the company's demo download page. I arbitrarily chose the one for CCNA and tested it in Wine 1.1.33. I suspect the installer issues, at least, will be the same for the other two versions.

The app needs .NET 2.0; you have to install it with winetricks before running the NetSim installer, as the app's attempt to install .NET 2.0 will fail. The installer crashes at the end, but by then has already installed the app. The app also needs Adobe Reader installed in Wine or it will refuse to run after installing.

I was able to start the app up, and while it seemed at bit slow, there were no obvious errors. But I really can't test it beyond that, as I don't have a clue how to use this app. My suggestion is you install it yourself following the instructions above, and if anything doesn't work, post console output.