[Wine] Re: Can wine fully use quad core Intel CPUS?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 29 01:58:38 CST 2009

jessiebrownjr wrote:
> I thought this would be an issue handled by the cpu architecture but somebody told me to just get a good dual core CPU. Any truth to this?
> I found out that its mostly up to the software on how many cores it uses, but what im after is does Wine itself limit this on top of the software Wine is running?

Yes, Wine can use as many CPUs/cores as you have. And yes, Wine does have some internal limitations to how much you'll actually get from those other cores (all GUI as well as D3D are single threaded in Wine).

Of course it all really depend on the program you are running. Most programs (with rare exceptions) have minimal to no gain from 4th core and very small gain from 3rd core (see CPU tests performed by lots of places). What this means to you is if you running one of those rare programs that can effectively use as many cores as you have then you want quad core. But if all you want is to play games (or most other tasks) you want as fast of cores as you can afford (2 faster cores will be better then 4 slower ones).