[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 29 11:56:25 CST 2009

Dear vitamin:

Thank you for the reply.  I have some replies to your responses below.

Make sure your program is compiled with flag indicating it can support more then 2GB.

This program can indeed allocate more than 2GB of memory and is LARGEADDRESSAWARE.  In any event the exact same binary that with a previous version of WINE (1.1.21) could allocate as much as 1520MB per process can now only allocate 1040MB per process with WINE 1.1.33 so in this case the difference cannot actually be the Windows binary itself that is the limiting factor.

Wine can only allocate memory from lover 2GB address space for regular programs. And that's the area used by Wine itself and all the system libraries.

Thank you for the explanation.  I understand that there is some overhead due to WINE itself running.  Has there been any major changes to the way that memory is allocated between WINE 1.1.21 and 1.1.33?  When I used WINE 1.1.21 I was able to allocate up to 1520 per process irrespective of how many processes were called in parallel.   In the case of my 8-core machine this meant as much as 12160MB could be called in aggregate for a single parallel MPI job run.  A more thorough explanation of the Windows native memory capabilities and limitations for this program are posted at the link below.

http://classic.chem.msu.su/cgi-bin/ceilidh.exe/gran/gamess/forum/?C34df668afbHW-6911-1138+00.htm

Thank you for your reply and assistance.  I was hoping that some modification to the source code or some flags could allow me to return to the 1520MB per process memory capability of previous versions of WINE or (in an ideal world) possibly allocate closer to the 2GB limit of the Win32AP (I understand that 64-bit and 32-bit/64-bit multilib WINE builds are not supported on Mac as of yet).

Cheers,

Thomas