[Wine] Pulseaudio

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 1 11:45:01 CDT 2009

Oli Warner <oli at thepcspy.com> wrote about Pulse Audio on October 1, 2009:

>oiaohm, I'm bored of this.

There are many of us out here that are too.

1.  Pulseaudio is broken.  It has broken many folks in seriously bad ways.
2.  There are better ways to handle audio.  ALSA is one, OSS is another.  These WORK folks.  I don't know what Pulse is trying to do, but it is just another layer that is not needed for most folks.
3.  Supporting ONE and only ONE audio method allows folks to put efforts elsewhere that gets more 'bang for the buck'.

So this leads to what we should support:  ALSA and OSS.  That is it in a nutshell.  Maybe if gstreamer becomes mainstream then we should support it as well.  Pulse, OpenAL and the rest maybe a waste of time.

BTW, the pulse patch adds serious brokenness to Wine from what I read here.  Please do not push this any further.

>I'm asking for a patch to be applied. Not a maintained audio branch, just a
>simple temporary* stop-gap to get the pulseaudio sufferers through. If ossp
>is going to save us all within the next 7 months, I'm truly glad for it and
>truly look forward to using it..

AJ, the code maintainer has said, repeatedly, NO.  His word is LAW for this project.  He is not, nor will not, change on this.  Thus this patch will NOT be incorporated into the Wine Trunk.  Not today, not tomorrow, NEVER.  Get it?

>Susan: I understand what you're saying but I'm not asking for it to be
>forced on people, just be there for those that need it.

Pulse, when installed and running, breaks what Susan needs.  This is contra to the spirit of this project and FOSS.  We need to support ALL users with the functionality that works.

Please keep in mind that I have years of experience working with software.  Pulse is being shoved down people's throats, even though people do not want, desire or need it.  This is bad practice.

James McKenzie