[Wine] Quitting linux, partly because of wine

RodP wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 1 13:31:37 CDT 2009

This is goodbye, linux. As much as I wanted to stay with linux and Ubuntu I finally ran out of patience with the amateurish approach to software development I found almost everywhere I looked. Importantly for me, there is no comprehensive video application for 32-bit systems. Kdenlive was, perhaps, the best but it was seriously limited in the file formats it would deal with, and none of the other format conversion software packages could deal with a 16:9 aspect, even though virtually every video camera prodcued today uses it. When I tried to solve the problem with wine I found that none of the usual Windows video conversion software packages would run with it. In fact, even the copy of Internet Explorer that came with wine refused to run! And all this was happening on Ubuntu 9.04! Neither 9.04 nor wine are brand new programs; these problems should have been dealt with before the programs were released for general use.

The amount of tinkering and fiddling around just to get a normal response from ordinary software has become intolerable. There should not be any need to go to a command line to complete the simple installation of a common software application, yet almost every package required resorting to the command line to fix problems that should have been dealt with by the software developer. And Canonical should not be endorsing software like wine when not even the software that comes with it will function properly on Canonical's latest version of the OS.

I came to Ubuntu because I was disgusted with Vista and thought that the 17th or 18th version of Ubuntu linux might have sorted out the sort of basic problem I've found with almost every application I tried, including wine. Even the much-vaunted Open Office Word Processor could not keep track of the boundaries of a simple table from one editing session to the next. Good grief! These are basic and obvious problems! Yet, after all the years of software development that went into producing the packages I've tried the problems remain.

I've had enough. Good luck and goodbye, linux. Thankfully, when my copy of Windows 7 arrives for my desktop I can move my copy of XP to my laptop and be finished with software that doesn't even manage the most basic of software systems