[Wine] Re: Pulseaudio

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 1 17:51:59 CDT 2009

Oli Warner oiaohm is my universal handle.  To me its equal to my full name just as blunt.   I class not using a persons full Author name as a insult also can cause havoc if there were like two people name Oli in here.

My personal policy does not change every response everywhere has been handle or name.   Note there is more that one Peter Dolding online my handle solved the conflict on reports.  Reason for me needing a new kind of online name.   If you really want to get formal with my handle.  oiaohm is Ok I Am Over Here Mate its only fair that you know it.

By the way Oli Warner asking for something to be included in a open source project is very formal.  You must prove you self in a formal way.

Problem here including Pulseaudio to be removed latter will break one of wine golden rules.

The rule is:
No hacks.  Either implement correctly or not at all.

So a temporary/stop-gap solution is not possible.   Note correctly in wine include replicating windows flaws and test cases to prove code is correct.  Putting code in wine is not just because some fells like it.

Wine use to operate that way.  Back when every patch to make application work was included wine was making no progress regression after regression.

Note the golden rule is not AJ rule.   Golden rule was voted on at a Wine conf to solve the never ending regression issue.   If AJ breaks it his maintainer ship would have to be reconsidered.   So unless you can prove the patch is valid long term it will never be included.

Also be aware that jack arts and esound and support were included before the golden rule come into effect.   Today none of these would have made it in under current day control rules.

Reason once we add crap to tree removing it can be imposable due to complaining users.  Wine developers are not stupid.  If we include Pulseaudio there will be no motivation form Pulseaudio people to work on a solution like gstreamer that could work well in time for wine.

Also users will not use the ossp solution freely either if we include the Pulseaudio driver.   Since what we will end up with is a stack of complaints that ossp wine works better than pulseaudio driver in wine so fix.

Basically you are trying to force Pulseaudio on the developers of wine Oli Warner.   You don't have to maintain the crap they do.   So particular items will get refused.

Did you not read.   Pulseaudio is already part supported by the wine ALSA driver.  Adding the Pulseaudio driver is also duplication since we would have to support Pulseaudio in 2 locations not 1.  Yet you are not happy with that Oli Warner.  The major difference here is what the Pulseaudio driver is based on.   Some applications still work better with the OSS driver than the ALSA one.

Since Pulseaudio driver is based of that you get some applications working that would not.  Correct solution is get OSS working with Pulseaudio not hacking a OSS driver to talk to Pulse.   Users still would have to switch between Pulse and ALSA driver to get application to work with Pulse.  Problem here development would split between 2 drivers doing basically the same thing ie OSS driver and Pulse driver.

Even then there are a lot of applications that don't like Pulseaudio lag.   They are use to windows that don't place that of lag in way.

OSS can be used on Apple.    OSS and ALSA cover most platforms.

Don't forget support gstreamer supports Pulseaudio and OpenAL outs  so ends once and for all having to do support for other servers.

Oli Warner you have to make your case.  So far you are avoiding the flaws.   Face the problem see what we see.   Pulseaudio driver for wine does not pass the requirement rules.