[Wine] Running ".wine" folder from USB drive.

mr jingle wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 3 14:21:19 CDT 2009

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to run some applications fully contained on their own "wineprefix" folder from an external USB Drive. (I'm trying to run some games on a Acer eeePC with only 16GB of SSD storage...some games couldn't be fully contained inside of it)

Being a computer without a CD/DVD drive I've first installed the software on a different machine and then copied the relative "wineprefix" folders inside an NTFS formatted USB HD.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu 9.04 mounts USB Storage units as "root" user /group with fully Read/Write Permission to everybody. Due to this situation,  wine refuses to run from such folder with the error "wine: NAME_OF_THE_FOLDER is not owned by you". )

I want to avoid messing with /etc/fstab , as doing so usually breaks the UDEV/HAL automounting feature of ubuntu for CD/DVDRom and USB devices. Custom UDEV/HAL rules could be a solution, but of course this would be something not relevant to wine itself.

Does anybody know a way to run wine with a wineprefix located where the user has fully read/write permission but he's not the actual owner?