[Wine] Help for Game Drivers

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:08:28 CDT 2009

> I understand that to play games on WINE I need to have the proper drivers.
> The problem I've run into is that when I tried to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II Sith Lords, I found that my three things weren't recognized:
>
> My Video card
> My Processor
> My Sound card

The windows game not detecting (or improperly detecting) what linux
driver / hardware you are using should not be a problem. You can not
install windows drivers for your hardware in wine, linux or a mac.

> The current hardware is NVidia GeForce 7100, processor Dual-Core E2200 (@ 2.20 GHz)
>
> Where does one find the drivers, or rather what name are the proper drivers under in the Synaptic package manager?

You generally get the video driver your package manager. In this case
you want the nvidia binary driver and not the open source nv driver.

The sound driver is most likely built into your kernel unless you are
using an addon card.

Processor support should also be enabled in the kernel.

John