[Wine] can't open /dv/snd/seq - missing something???

shengchieh wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 4 16:19:18 CDT 2009

I'm following the directions in

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13563

to get Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) 10-standard working on cruncheee
08.10.  I already installed Wine 1.1.30 via ubuntu PPA.

The next step is to download winetricks and run it.  An error
message occurs when I use winetricks.  I.e.

  $ sh winetricks gdiplus fontfix
  ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
  ...stuffs deleted...

I get an error message complaining it didn't see /dev/snd/seq and mentioned ALSA.
So I decide to use winecfg to change to OSS (I have to change to OSS anyway for DNS).
When I start up winecfg, I get the same error message saying I can't open /dev/snd/seq .

Fyi, I'm running cruncheee 08.10, an eee version of #! (crunchbang) 08.10, which is
an openbox implementation of ubuntu 08.10 .  Thus I am running a modified
version of #! which has the sound modules stripped out.  What library or utility
am I missing?

Fyi, I'm running cruncheee 8.10 on this eee 701 4G laptop.  And the
lspci and lsmod outputs are

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/Laptoplspci.txt
http://shengchieh.50webs.com/Laptoplsmod.txt

Thank in advanced for any help.

Sheng-Chieh

p.s. Searching the !# and Wine forums for /dev/snd/seq didn't help.

p.s. I'm hesitant to install #1 9.04 because sun-java will not work.
I could try opengeeu, wattOS, or easy peasy if needed.  I do want to
have an ubuntu based distro that is lightweight.  But first step:
is there an easy way to fix the error I have now?