[Wine] Editing root files with text editor

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Oct 12 04:10:24 CDT 2009

> I have Wine installed and running fine in Ubuntu 9.04. I also have notepad++ and crimson editor running under wine perfectly.
>
> Question is, how do I edit root owned files? I cant run these programs as "root" (also, doing that seems to be HEAVILY discouraged)
>
> Please help...

Hi!
 If you REALLY want to use your windows-based editors to edit Linux root owned files, the only possibility is to use the chown/chmod commands as root (or use some form of permission control GUI) and set the permissions for these files to be able to read/write them as a regular user.

 However, if you are using Linux regularly, I strongly encourage you to learn any of the Linux text editors and use it instead of the windows ones.

 With regards, Pavel