[Wine] Re: Wine 64 bits relying on 32 bit opengl implementation

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Oct 27 23:39:44 CDT 2009

qdii wrote:
> vitamin : I'm not sure what you mean with "you can't". My idea was that Wine was "reading" a PE file, and handling Windows answers to its calls. If I'm right, Wine should be able to use 64-bit OpenGL no ?

It's a "bit" more complicated then that. Wine executes code in windows binaries. And if they are 32-bit Wine also have to be 32-bit. You should read some FAQ and documentation about Wine. It explains how Wine works and clarifies these basic misconceptions.

qdii wrote:
> - is it possible to have a true 64-bit wine ( compiled with -m64 ) ?
> - if yes, why not make it call 64-bit library ?

Yes, it's possible. However in this case Wine will be able to run 64-bit windows applications only. But not 32-bit. Also note that Wine64 is still highly experimental and have lots of issues.