[Wine] Re: Torchlight

lgtspecb wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 30 16:39:16 CDT 2009

Sorry, this is my first guide and editing is turned off in this forum. I wanted to note a few things from my guide above.

1) There is a spelling error in my step 10. The file name should be plugins_opengl.cfg as created in step 9. Not plugins_opengl.cfm. Setting OPENGL:1 in settings.txt is not enough, the game will crash on startup if the plugins_opengl.cfg file does not exist.

2) The purpose of running the game in safe mode is to create the settings.txt file. You can get this file from safemode.zip but since the game has not been run you will need to create the directory structure yourself, the easiest method is to just run the game in safemode.

3) When running in fullscreen, the game takes a long time to launch and the splash screen does not show up. Just wait it out, it should launch fine. The splash screen does display when running in windowed mode.

4) Make sure you have the video drivers for your distribution.

5) The correct location for settings.txt is "~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/runic games/torchlight/settings.txt", not "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Runic Games/Torchlight/settings.txt" as in dong's post. This is where the file will be created when you run it in safe mode.

6) Running in safe mode will overwrite any settings.txt file you previously had with a new fresh copy. This can be handy if you mess it up, but dangerous if you open the game in safe mode unintentionally. After the game has been run, do all your settings changes manually by editing the file.

7) I am only getting 20-50fps in my screenshot because before even launching the game I am at 60% ram utilization with apache, mysql and  coldfusion running in the background, evolution, eclipse, firefox with 20+ tabs, pidgin, xchat, virtualbox, amarok, screenlets, etc running on my other virtual desktop. The game actually runs significantly faster in Linux with Wine, than it does natively on Windows XP with reduced loading times, higher frame rates, and no degradation over time. On my underpowered laptop with Karmic, compiz, screenlets, awn, dockbarx, etc running i get 40-60fps consistently.

8) My setup is Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, Wine 1.1.32, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 4GB ram, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 180).