[Wine] Re: Updating to Wine 1.1.32

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 30 20:29:04 CDT 2009

aeyan wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am a bit newbie on linux, but starting is part of the process ^^.
>
> I am currently working with Kubunut 9.10, and I have Wine 1.0.1 installed. I wanted to play Runes of Magic (that in theory works with 1.1.32 wine), but with 1.0.1 doesn't work (keeps connecting to servers forever).
>
> So, in order to solve that problem I need to get 1.1.32 wine installed, and I don't know how to do this.
>
> I downloaded a .tar.bz2 file, decompressed it, and got a bunch of folders and files. I did not found any sh or something to install it, so I'll be pretty grateful if someone could help me to install it, just remember I'm a bit newbie and you have to explain me the things sloooowly >.<
>

> Tons of thanks beforehand

Hi,

In your distribution  ([K]Ubuntu), most applications can be installed via a "package". Many other distros use packages, but there are different kinds of packages -- RPM Packages, DEB Packages...

A Package contains a certain piece of software. By installing it, it installs the software and registers itself in the package list. This way, you can remove any package you want, by accessing your package manager.

In Ubuntu (and Kubuntu), we use DEBS. Whenever you install something (via synpatic, or apt-get) you are downloading a DEB and installing it. Where do they come from? Repositories.

Repositories hold a set of DEBS. This way, your package manager can check with the repository to see if any package needs updating (new versions may be out) or if support for a certain package has been dropped, etcetera.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu has a strict "stable" policy and tends not to update their repositories that often. So they have the old 1.0.1 version. What can you do? Override the repositories.

By adding a new repository with the most up-to-date Wine, you will get updates as they come out, so if you add winehq's repository, you'll update 1.0.1 to 1.1.32. :)

How to do that? http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

It has detailed instructions. Since 9.10 came out so recently, there still aren't packages or repositories for 9.10, but I think that, as a *provisory* and *temporary* solution, you might try to use the 9.04 repositories. (Someone correct me if I just advised something stupid!!).

The .tar.bz2 file that you downloaded was probably a source-code file. You would be able to compile your own Wine version instead of installing it via a package manager, But since you'd be compiling it, it would not be a DEB and would NOT appear in the "installed apps", because it wasn't installed via a package manager -- nor is it a package.

It may sound confuse, but you asked me to go "sloooowly" =D

Cheers,

Jorl17