[Wine] Updating to Wine 1.1.32

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 06:25:58 CDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:22 AM, aeyan <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Okay, thanks a lot ^^
>
> I downloaded the 1.1.32 deb file, as I had the "default" wine repositories:
>

> Code:
> wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo
> apt-key add -
>

> I used that deb with the KPackageKit, so installed it, and now I have
> 1.1.32.
>
> Thanks a lot ^^, just I have to download the deb files if possible, and if
> not... euh... I'll searh for a solution xd
>

> By the way, I got all my repositories updated, I know I have to do that,
> but don't know what it does (technically, obviously it updates something
> >.<). Now I know, thx =D

Quick explanation:
- programs packaged in .deb format; contains everything to install a prog
(code, doc, upgrade, ...); let's call them "deb" packages, or debs
- Ubuntu uses by default some repositories = (group of debs with specific
versions)
- The default ubuntu repository contains wine 1.0.1 deb package
- You basically
  - instruct ubuntu you have a new repository to get deb packages from (as
well as the digital package signer signature [hence the wget -q
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -])
 - this repository contains a newer version of wine (1.1.32)
 - hit reload (i.e. retrieve packages information for all packages in ALL
your defined repositories) in your package manager [or do a "sudo apt-get
update", which is similar]
 - now ubuntu knows where it can find the latest version of wine deb
(default rep=1.0.1; added wine rep = 1.1.32 so the latter wins)
 - upgrade this program (e.g. using Synaptic package manager, or similar)

Hope this helps,

Frédéric