[Wine] Re: Steam sound problem

phodd.net wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 31 15:12:03 CDT 2009

I seem to be having the exact same problem getting sound working under Wine.

I'm using a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine 1.1.31 (which is the latest version available via the Synaptic Package Manager).

Following the 'disable Pulseaudio' advice in this thread and elsewhere online does more harm than good in that it totally stops all Ubuntu sound output (Other people's mileage may vary of course - I can only test my own computer, but there doesn't seem to be another sound subsystem installed by default that would take over when Pulse is killed.)

All this bang-head-against-brick-wall-until-dead-or-everything-works malarkey is fairly new to me, but I'll report back if I stumble blindly onto something that fixes it.

... and I know this is probably not the place to gripe. It seems to be Ubuntu that have moved the goalposts on this one, not WineHQ :(