[Wine] Tested incoming sound with new kernels -- RT works, Generic doesn't yet

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 1 07:50:37 CDT 2009

For me....
The latest RT kernel, 2.6.31-3-rt works for wine incoming sound, provided you killall pulseaudio first.
The application I tried it with was Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
It works when setting either alsa or oss in winecfg.
However, the generic kernel, 2.6.31-9-generic, still shows a timeout error.
Conclusion?
Incoming sound in wine -- Maybe use the RT kernel if you have trouble getting incoming sound due to timeout error?

Note to users -- experiences with incoming and outgoing sound vary. Outgoing may be easier to achieve.  Also, the effect of latency varies with individual programs.
In other words, that little latency blip that I get using the generic kernel and dns may not be applicable to other programs.
DNS is very sensitive to latency.