[Wine] Serial port problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Sep 2 11:37:16 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 10:38 -0500, folderol wrote:
> Since about v0.9 I've been unable to get wine to reliably receive
> characters on the serial port. Sending is fine. The latest version
> I've tried is 1.1.23, and this always loses the first two characters
> of a line, then randomly loses some of the later ones.

I don't have any problems using serial ports with WINE.

I only have one program that requires serial ports that I run with WINE
- the EW Uploader, used to set parameters in an EW flight recorder and
download IGC flight logs from it as ASCII files. IIRC it uses the
Z-modem protocol for downloads. Details are in the AppDB: no winetricks
were needed to get it working.

It worked with WINE 1.0.1, 1.1.9 under Fedora 8 and is currently working
with WINE 1.1.23 under Fedora 10. I'm using a NetMos Technology PCI 9845
Multi-I/O Controller, which provides 6 serial ports, to talk to it. Both
motherboard ports (COM1 and COM2) are permanently connected to other
devices.

Martin