[Wine] Garry's Mod Questions

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Sep 2 15:05:38 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:48 -0500, saronn wrote:
> Wow, I spent an hour or two finding LSPCI, and all along I had it. ;)

Hint: there are a variety of ways of seeing if you have a program
installed on Linux. All are command line utilities (listed in the order
I usually try them):

	man progname		# see if it has a manpage. Most do.
	apropos progname        # look for synonyms [*]
	which progname 		# see if its in $PATH
	locate progname         # see if the filename is present
	info progname 		# GNU programs tend to have info
				# entries rather than manpages

[*] this is powerful: "apropos ls" finds all the following on my system:

ls []        (1)  - list directory contents
ls []        (1p) - list directory contents
lsattr []    (1)  - list file attributes on a Linux second extended file
lsdiff []    (1)  - show which files are modified by a patch
lshal []     (1)  - list HAL devices
lshw []      (1)  - list hardware
lsmod []     (8)  - program to show the status of modules in the Linux K
lsof []      (8)  - list open files
lspci []     (8)  - list all PCI devices
lstat []     (2)  - get file status
lstat []     (3p) - get symbolic link status
lsusb []     (8)  - list USB devices

together with a collection of other names that contain 'ls', so its
better to run it as:

	apropos progname | less

so you can scroll through the list.

Martin