[Wine] Wine on Snow Leopard: dumbed-down help needed

toiletresin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 3 19:57:47 CDT 2009

Hi, all. I just got a fresh new hard drive on my white MacBook and installed Snow Leopard (10.6). I was a happy Wine user when I had 10.5, but now I can't get Wine to install. First I tried to install wine-devel with Macports, which failed because it couldn't find the 32-bit Freetype libraries. I then downloaded the latest source and did the whole "./configure" and "make" bits, but I didn't install because it issues a bunch of warnings about no support for basic things like jpeg and mp3. I don't want to bother with Wine if I can't view most image files or listen to most of my music files. I just want to get a basic, functional version of Wine so that I can use audio, graphics, and possibly video software designed for Windows. No fancy videogames or anything. I've read other threads on this but can't find any instructions that are basic enough for me to follow. Please help if you know how to do this. If it's not possible, I'm willing to just reinstall Leopard. Thanks in advance!