[Wine] Making wine use the correct OpenGL libraries

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Fri Sep 4 17:34:52 CDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 6:35 AM, raziel2001au wrote:

> I am trying to compile Wine under Snow Leopard and I finally managed
> to fix the issue where it could find the OpenGL development headers,
> but... having done that, it finds the wrong OpenGL libraries by
> default, in other words, running ./configure with:
> But at runtime it can't find the .1 versions of the libraries - I'm
> guessing because those aren't in the OpenGL framework folder. So, to
> make this work I'm assuming it needs to use libGL.dylib file
> instead. So, in a desperate attempt to fix this issue, I tried:
> So now it finds the correct libGLU.dylib, but doesn't find
> libGL.dylib, which exists in the same directory. I think these
> problems are probably due to changes in Snow Leopard, in theory, all
> I should need to do is ./configure and it should all just work, but
> the OpenGL stuff is broken quite well.

OpenGL stuff is not broken, just... changed.  You need to specify the
path to X11, since Wine uses X and not system/Cocoa frameworks.  Quick
and dirty:

   export CC="gcc -arch i386 -m32"
   export CXX="g++ -arch i386 -m32"
   export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11/include "
   LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11/lib "
   LDFLAGS+="-framework CoreServices -lz -L/usr/X11/lib -lGL -lGLU "
   export LDFLAGS
   ./configure

Once Wine is built and installed, you will also need to specify where
to look for libs at runtime as well:

   DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib:/usr/lib" wine progname.exe

So OpenGL is not broken; Mac OS X is picky, or broken to an extent,
and library search paths have to be set as such.  I have had zero time
to touch Wine+Mac OS X recently.  OpenGL apps work - at least simple
tests like wglgears - but I've run into some issues with the Direct3D
bits that I have, again, had zero time to investigate.  I do have a
working Wine 1.1.29 built on Snow Leopard running a few OpenGL apps,
Firefox, etc., so a build is definitely doable.

   ryan woodsmall
     rwoodsmall at mac.com