[Wine] Wine beta hangs, Requires reboot of Linux

jcobban wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 5 16:16:13 CDT 2009

I reported earlier that I was getting a lot of error messages out of Wine running Family Tree Maker.  As requested I updated to the beta version of Wine, but since doing so nobody has responded with any followup.

I now find that after running FTM for a long period of time that Wine hangs up.  This suggests to me that there is a memory leak in the beta version.  When I terminate the application, by clicking on the window's shutdown icon and instructing the window manager to force the application down, I can no longer start Wine applications.  So far the only solution to being able to restart my application is to reboot Linux, which suggests to me that there is some lock that is not being released by the forced termination of the app.

Furthermore since upgrading to the beta version of Wine I have lost one significant piece of functionality from FTM:  it no longer is able to save text auto-completion information into the database, although all other changes to the database are successful.  This aggravates the previous problem because the only way I can retain the auto-completion information is to not shut down FTM for as long as possible.

I would request some advice from the Wine gurus as to further steps I can take to collect documentation of these problems.

The error log from one run (admittedly not a run that resulted in a hang) is available at www.jamescobban.net/winerrors.txt